THE GROUND UP #4
Welcome to The GROUND Up, our monthly newsletter where we wrestle the cultural zeitgeist to bring you our highlights from the world of social, sport, entertainment and tech.
Home GROUND: Our man at Cannes
During the month we sent our Creative Director and Head of Haus, Lex Deasley to be our man on the GROUND in Cannes. Here are a few of his favourites from the festival:
- Nike – Nothing Beats a Londoner (Wieden+Kennedy London)
- Apple – Welcome Home (TBWAmedia Arts Lab Los Angeles)
- Plastic Oceans/Ladbible – Trash Isles (AMVBBDO London)
- Procter & Gamble – It’s a Tide Ad Film Campaign (Procter & Gamble Cincinnati)
- Essity - Bloodnormal (AMBBBDO London)
- KFC - 11 Herbs & Spices (Wieden+Kennedy Portland)
- Check out some of the other campaigns here.
GROUND Work: GROUND at TEDxSydney
Here at GROUND we know the importance of keeping our finger on the pulse of behavioural and tech innovation, so where better for the team to go than TEDxSydney. The day was themed HumanKind and touched on important topics such as equality, human values, the role of AI and much more. Here are our top talks from the day:
- Chyloe Kurdas talks using the AFL to build a platform for equality (@1:44:37)
- Steven Scheeler talks the importance of age and working for Facebook (@8:47:36)
- Thomas Oxley talks Telepathy (@3:06:33)
- Thom Thum… Just test your stomach and watch this… (@8:25:11)
GROUNDbreaking: Introducing our new Copywriter, The T-800
Alibaba’s claiming that they’ve created an AI tool that may just flip the marketing world on its head. The tool’s designed to produce copy as if written by a human, however, unlike most creatives it operates at extreme speeds and is capable of producing 20,000 lines of copy per second without requiring a single drop of coffee. Alibaba is hopeful however that the technology won’t replace our skilled leaders of ideas but instead will reinvent the role of copywriters, essentially, allowing them to operate as copy-reviewers….hmmm. Their argument is that this would give them more capacity to focus on their creative process so that they can produce even better work. Next stop Skynet.
Sports GROUND: Run for a cause with Adidas
Adidas are putting their money where their mouth is in the ‘race’ to save the world’s oceans by donating $1,000,000 USD to Parley Ocean School Program. The catch? It’s up to you to unlock the donation. Each 1km run within the Runtastic app results in Adidas donating $1. It’s great to see momentum towards creating genuinely impactful work that pushes real environmental change. Other great examples being Corona and Volvo’s recent campaigns.
PlayGROUND: Mid-year brand reviews
The World Cup has been taking up most of our minds and sleep this month, but we still haven’t forgotten to take stock and have a look at the year so far. Complex, our go to publication for a shot of culture, have done their round up of the best brands for the first 6 months of the year and naturally it’s a list dominated by Virgil Abloh and Supreme *hypebeast starts foaming at the mouth*.